Sunday, September 7, 2008

Oopsie

Geesh...it hasn't even been two weeks and here I am posting about my first slip-up. I've already told myself that I'm not going to count it as a failure...I prefer "oopsie." As long as I don't let these "oopsies" become a habit I think I can forgive myself and move on (this is usually where I have thrown my hands in the air and given up).


Our local movie theatre has a deal going where you buy their "special" bucket of popcorn and you can have refills for 50 cents the rest of the year...whenever you want. Several months ago we bought the bucket while going to watch "Hell Boy." So, we were watching a movie at home today and my husband (no use blaming him) I decided to go get a refill for our at-home-movie viewing enjoyment. I thought, "Oh I will just have a few handfulls." And wouldn't you know but that darn popcorn bucket hopped right over into my lap and forced me to consume 3/4 of the popcorn it contained.

Well, not really, but I was shocked to "suddenly" feel the bottom of the popcorn bucket in the midst of our movie. It was almost as if I wasn't conscious that I was totally pigging out (note to self: if you are going to eat and watch a movie make sure to promote portion control by dishing yourself a serving instead of hoarding the food and eating until gone).

It was all downhill...and kind of blurry...from there.

I "grazed" uncontrollably the rest of the day. I ate three cheese sticks, 3 or 4 grahm crackers, several bites of my husband's ramen, 4-5 handfuls of cashews...and finally...to add insult to injury I ended the day with a Big & Tasty meal from McDonalds (0h-the horror). By the time I got to the point of having McDonalds for dinner I found myself thinking, "well the damage is
done I might as well have that cheeseburger and fries I've been craving."

Then came the accountability...to myself and to the people (if there are
any) who read this blog. I thought, I'm not going to just give-up (which is usually followed by a binge and gaining 10 lbs), and I'm not going to start over (Lord knows I've done the "start-over" diet one too many times). I'm going to accept the fact that I screwed up...learn from it...forgive myself and move on.

Whew-that feels so much better than wallowing in it.

3 comments:

blendergrl said...

Accountability is so important. When I have an 'oops' I write it all in my journal, figure out how many points (or calories) I have consumed and then move on.

Now the key is to start fresh tomorrow and put today in the past.

Good luck!

Allison said...

That's the only way to handle slip-ups like that: to accept them, and move on. And Rosie the Riveter is right, you most certainly can do it!

Karyn said...

The fact that you are not letting this "oopsie" send you off on a "what's the use anyway" binge is a HUGE victory! We all face those times when we "fall off the wagon". That is not the problem so much as what we do about falling....do we get up, dust ourselves off and get back on? or do we crawl over to the side of the road, whine, and tell ourselves we are not worthy or able to be on the wagon at all?

What you have done is a huge step toward your final goal!