Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Rules Are Made to Be Broken...or Something Like That

I knew I was going to be eating my words when I made my "rules." I need to make a few adjustments...particularily to #4 & #6.

#4: 10pm bedtime - Well, unfotunately it is necessary for the survival of our family that I work a night job. This means that I usually don't get home until 10pm on most nights. Therefore, I think an 11pm bedtime will be more appropriate. I'm violating that right now as I type this post, but going forward I will make it my goal to be in bed by 11pm.

#6: Food Journal - My food journaling has been beneficial. It makes me conscious of everything that goes into my mouth because I know I have to write it down. However, with a household to run and a night job and a 14 month old and student husband to take care of...something has got to give. I am still going to keep a food journal, but not the elaborate food journal I have going on right now. I am going to just buy a little notebook and write down what I eat...no nutritional info. I think that is what took so much time...trying to figure out all of the calories, fat, carbs, proteins, etc. I've done this in the past, and it takes very little time, yet is very beneficial for me.

Which leads me to my #1 Rule: Eat to Live. I've done well for myself (accept for that oopsie a few days ago) watching what I eat. I've been prompted by a few friends to check out the South Beach Diet. I've never had much interest because I figured it's a fad diet similar to Atkins. However, I finally decided to at least read into it (well, the book that is), and have found that the eating lifestyle of the South Beach Diet is very similar to what I'm trying to do now.

So, my husband and I are on day two of Phase I of the S.B.D. I will say that neither of us are a big fan of this 2 week Phase I, but I like the idea that it is almost "cleansing" and "preparing" the body for a new start. So...onward and upward!

1 comments:

Allison said...

I hope you have better luck with the South Beach Diet than I had! I just officially stopped it this past weekend, and between cheating a little bit last week (for my husband's birthday) and ending SBD this week, I've gained about 8 lbs. Even though I'm working out, the weight is just sort of sticking to me. But SBD certainly does work for some people, so I hope you are one of those people. :)
I think the food journaling is a great idea. I do that every day, and include in there my exercise for the day, and occasionally my weight. It's a great tool to use.