Thursday, September 11, 2008

PCOS

I know there are a few people who read my blog (thank you for your support)! I wanted to know if anyone out there has been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)?


I've had PCOS since college (maybe sooner, but that is when it was diagnosed), and I know for a fact that the condition can make it a little harder to lose weight. However, if the weight is lost it can greatly reduce your risk for the side effects of PCOS which are diabetes and heart disease. For those of you who don't know much about PCOS here is a quick definition from the Mayo Clinic:

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common condition characterized by irregular menstrual periods, excess hair growth and obesity, though it can affect women in a variety of ways.

The exact cause of polycystic ovary syndrome is unknown, but the condition stems from a disruption in the monthly reproductive cycle. The name polycystic ovary syndrome comes from the appearance of the ovaries in some women with the disorder — large and studded with numerous cysts (polycystic).

Polycystic ovary syndrome affects about one in 10 women in the United States and is the leading cause of infertility in women. Early diagnosis and treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome can help reduce the risk of long-term complications, which include diabetes and heart disease.

One thing I have learned from doctors and dieticians alike is that a low glycemic index diet has been found successful in helping PCOS patients lose weight and prevent diabetes. That is another reason why I chose to use the South Beach Diet as my dietary guideline for weighloss.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the glycemic index it is a measure of the effects of carbohydrates on blood glucose levels. Carbohydrates that break down rapidly during digestion releasing glucose rapidly into the bloodstream have a high GI; carbohydrates that break down slowly, releasing glucose gradually into the bloodstream, have a low GI. The South Beach diet seems to promote eating foods that have a low GI, such a vegetables and whole grains. Since many PCOS patients are "pre-diabetic" or insulin resistant a diet that consists of lean proteins and low GI foods are very important not only for weightloss, but also for preventing diabetes.

After having PCOS for almost 10 years I am just starting to get this (duh).

So, I wanted to know if any of you have PCOS:
1)Have you experienced weight-loss struggles?
2)What methods, tools, etc do you find successful in acheiving your weight-loss/health goals?

2 comments:

Inspiration said...

I have PCOS and have always struggled with weight loss. Once a dr. told me that "PCOS patients have 3 times harder time losing weight than non PCOS ppl. Also, you have 3 times easier time gaining weight". In the past what has worked for me is actually avoiding the bad carbs like white sugar, white bread/pasta. Also, when I am on birth control it really helps to regulate my hormones and I usually lose 5 lbs right away.

I find the longer you stick to it, the easier it is. It is the carbs & high GI foods that cause the cravings in us PCOS ppl.

I know this is hard, but you can do it!! You are doing great so far!

Chai Latté said...

Howdy! I also have PCOS.

I have been heavy my whole life, and have always struggled with losing it. I am sure part of it is attributed to the PCOS. But I like to not use it as a blame. I have to work twice as hard... but we all have our struggles and downfalls.

So far, a low-carb diet is really helping me lose this time. And I feel like it's absolutely the right diet to get me to goal.

I love your blog, keep it up!